Flat rate is a fixed, predefined charge that can be applied per item, or per shipment. Flat rate is a simple shipping solution, especially when used with the flat-rate packaging that is available from some carriers.
To set up flat rate shipping:
On the Main Menu sidebar, tap Stores. Then under Settings, choose Configuration.
In the panel on the left, under Sales, choose Shipping Methods.
Expand the Flat Rate section. Then, do the following:
1. Set Enabled to “Yes”. Flat Rate appears as an option in the Consumer App.
2. Enter a descriptive Title for the Flat Rate method.
3. Enter a Method Name to appear next to the calculated rate in the Consumer App. The default method name is “Fixed.” If you charge a handling fee, you can change the Method Name to “Plus Handling,” or something else that is suitable.
4. To describe how flat rate shipping can be used, set Type to one of the following:
- a. None – Disables the payment type. The Flat Rate option is listed in the Consumer App, but with a rate of zero—which is the same as free shipping.
- b. Per Order – Charges a single flat rate for the entire order.
- c. Per Item – Charges a single flat rate for each item. The rate is multiplied by the number of items in the Cart, regardless of whether there are multiple quantities of the same, or of different items.
5. Enter the Price that you want to charge for flat rate shipping.
6. If charging an additional handling fee, set Calculate Handling Fee to one of the following:
- a. Fixed
- b. Percent
7. In the Displayed Error Message box, type the message to appear if flat rate shipping becomes unavailable.
8. Set Ship to Applicable Countries to one of the following:
- a. All Allowed Countries – Customers from all countries specified in your store configuration can use flat rate shipping.
- b. Specific Countries – After choosing this option, the Ship to Specific Countries list appears. Select each country in the list where flat rate shipping can be used.
9. Enter a Sort Order number to determine the position of flat rate shipping in the list of shipping methods during checkout. (0 = first, 1 = second, 2 = third, and so on.)
When complete, tap Save Config.